Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Lee writes:
troubleinstore wrote:
Sorry to post something off topic but I hope sincerley that someone can
help.

I know your question was about where to get one, rather than which one
to get, but it would be sensible to do some research into what you need
in a laptop and avoid buying on price - unless you do not plan to keep
it long before upgrading to the next one.
Most of the "cheap" laptops are poorly built, and designed down to the
price with resultant reliability and performance issues.

Ok, so you are covered by various legislation, but that doesn't help if
the machine spends more time being fixed than used, or you have to keep
reloading a new or different machine

It's also worth remembering that, with the exception of memory and HDD,
laptops are pretty much non-upgradeable. So it pays to make sure it has
everything you want when you buy it...

IME, company-owned laptops have rather short lives too.
I think this is a combination of them being rather fragile
and carried around (verses desktops which are not fragile
and not moved much), and also due to the lack of upgradability,
people find the only way to keep a current laptop (year or two
old at most) is to ensure it doesn't last much longer than that;-)

My suggestion at a previous company where this was an issue was
to decide what the write-off period for a laptop should be
(probably 3 years), and failures prior to that would be fixed
by supplying a replacement of roughly the same age/specification,
and not rewarded with a brand new one.

--
Andrew Gabriel