Hamp

I have a Grizzley jointer that is about 10 years old and it came with
the same instructions. I had some talc that was used to install inner
tubes in aircraft tires so I tried it. I kept up the practice for
about two years and it worked and although I haven't applied talc
recently the jointer still doesn't rust like my table saw and lathe
bed. I live in the hot humid south and if it'll work here it'll work
anywhere.

"billh" wrote in message ...
My Taiwanese table saw came with the same instructions. I did try it a
couple of times but abandoned it. Can't really remember whether exactly why
but I don't recall being real impressed with the results. I presently rub my
cast surfaces with Nevr-Dull to clean any slight rust discoloration and then
coat with Johnsons paste wax every now and then. Works well in my basement
shop. I notice a lot of WW'ers seem to like Top-Coat for cast protection.
Billh

"RonB" wrote in message
Kinda Interesting:

I was unpacking my new Powermatic 54A Jointer yesterday evening and
noticed Powermatic's suggestion for table rust protection. Sprinkle
talcum powder on the table and rub it in with a blackboard eraser. They
say the fine powder fills pores in the metal and blocks moisture
intrusion. Should be done weekly.

Anyone else heard of or tried this?