Larry Jaques

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:09:19 -0700, Doug Winterburn
calmly ranted:

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:20:31 -0500, Hoyt Weathers wrote:

and I nicked myself, again, a question of the obvious struck me. How do
they sharpen razor blades? The thingies stay sharp for a month or more. [I

http://www.antrak.org.tr/~ta2cip/razors.html

do not shave each day.] Those thingies must be made and sharpened in the
millions every shift. Are there any clues in their secret methods which
would be helpful to woodworkers? I am just guessing now, but I think the
makers use a procedure with a narrow steel alloy ribbon about a mile or
more long, then sharpen one edge of that ribbon on one or both sides, then
blank out the individual blades. Assembly would then be a piece of cake.
How do they sharpen that edge?

Hoyt W.

Don't know how shaving razors are sharpened, but according to Leonard Lee
you can sharpen your plane irons and chisels to an even better edge.
There is a difference in angles and definitely a different shaving
technique.

I must say that the little plastic Bic razor is much easier
to manipulate around my chin than an 18" long, 2" wide, 4
pound slick...

Or an axe.
http://www.razoredgesystems.com/imag...avin_image.gif

Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord.
http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online