Fraser Johnston

"Hoyt Weathers" wrote in message
and I nicked myself, again, a question of the obvious struck me. How do
they sharpen
razor blades? The thingies stay sharp for a month or more. [I do not shave
each day.]
Those thingies must be made and sharpened in the millions every shift. Are
there any
clues in their secret methods which would be helpful to woodworkers? I am
just
guessing now, but I think the makers use a procedure with a narrow steel
alloy ribbon
about a mile or more long, then sharpen one edge of that ribbon on one or
both sides,
then blank out the individual blades. Assembly would then be a piece of
cake. How do
they sharpen that edge?

Hoyt W.

I recall this topic coming up on rec.knives and they use a technique called
vapour honing. Can't remember much about it but I imagine it is still in
the archives.

Fraser