JGS

Yup. Those guys from the Ottawa Valley are a tough lot. I happen to know that a
lot of them use chisels to shave. JG

Doug Winterburn wrote:

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:20:31 -0500, Hoyt Weathers wrote:

and I nicked myself, again, a question of the obvious struck me. How do
they sharpen razor blades? The thingies stay sharp for a month or more. [I
do not shave each day.] Those thingies must be made and sharpened in the
millions every shift. Are there any clues in their secret methods which
would be helpful to woodworkers? I am just guessing now, but I think the
makers use a procedure with a narrow steel alloy ribbon about a mile or
more long, then sharpen one edge of that ribbon on one or both sides, then
blank out the individual blades. Assembly would then be a piece of cake.
How do they sharpen that edge?

Hoyt W.

Don't know how shaving razors are sharpened, but according to Leonard Lee
you can sharpen your plane irons and chisels to an even better edge.
There is a difference in angles and definitely a different shaving
technique.

-Doug

--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between