Ken G.

william kossack wrote:

I've also seen some demos where sanding was done just by holding the
sandpaper by hand and not using a drill and velcro sanding disk.

How many turners use the sanding disks? How many don't?

Which is better?

I used to use 2" sanding disk in a drill for almost everything, to
remove toolmarks. Now I've improved my gouge and skew technique and
don't need to do that anymore. I start hand sanding on the lathe
(spin-sanding) at 320 grit, sometimes 220, finishing up at 1500 in less
time than it used to take getting to 220. I'm bragging, but I'm also
trying to help you envision a goal that's not too hard to attain by
using very sharp tools, and using them correctly.

It also helps having good sandpaper. The stuff available at home supply
centers and hardware stores is rarely good enough. I use Finkat brand up
to 600 grit, then Norton Black Ice--purchased at an auto parts
store--for the rest. Klingspore is also good.
BTW, I don't have reverse on my lathe, but I've always thought it could
improve the final surface.

Ken Grunke
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/