Kevin

Hello Bill,
One of several ways that hand saws can be categorized is crosscut and rip.
A crosscut saw is used to cut across the grain and is probably the most
common and a rip saw is for cutting with the grain of the wood. The same
holds true for chainsaws. The default chain with chainsaws is most probably
a crosscut. It came with my 20+ year old Stihl. I had a local shop do a
tune up on my saw as it had sat unused for almost 8 years and when finished
picked up a ripping chain.
The easiest method I have found to use a ripping chain is to lay the log on
its side.
Then at about a 45 degree angle cut into the log. I trim off a bit on each
side removing the bark and perhaps an inch or so of sapwood. Then I make a
cut about 2 iches to each side of the middle in hopes of removing all the
pit. These two cuts are NOT done all the way to the end. I then complete as
many cuts as possible leaving planks of the desired width.

A fine set of pics illustrating this technique is available on Bill's page
at:
http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/logcutting.html

Thanks,
-kevin

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2004.10.17.15.05.27.206215@notarealserver .com...
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:25:10 -0500, Kevin wrote:

A suggestion for Bill. When you get your chainsaw, invest in a ripping
chain. It is SO MUCH EASIER on both you and the saw. Not to mention a
ripping chain goes much better through the wood than the standard

crosscut
chain.

-Kevin

That's interesting. I'd never heard of such a beast. I'll be certain to
ask about it. Can you name a store where this is available? I've had
chainsaws in the past (when you lose a house to divorce, lots of other
things turn up missing, too) but never noticed anything marked "ripping"
on the replacement chain racks.

Bill

--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)