Andy Hall

Default URGENT Leaking hot water cylinder (pressurised) HELP

On 4 Feb 2004 07:01:33 -0800, (RJ) wrote:

After all the advice here and elsewhere - we got a quote from plumber
for 500 + 250 labour + vat to replace with another unvented system
(ariston); and to DIY with thermal store was about 700 + bits + a few
new tools.

So - went with plumber.

Hmmm.

Never ever ever again. Not slagging off all plumbers as I'm sure you
guys aren't like this - but 20-30 visits to van (minimum) at slow
walking pace, and taking ages over doing anything - it gets put in in
8 hours - and I get charged 500 labour not 250.

WHAT!? Not really fair.

DIdn't you have a fixed price on the labour.

Oh - and do you need to be qualified to put it in? No offence to the
advice - but no - it was easily doable by a good DIYer.

Yes of course it is. None of this is rocket science.

And the extra
tests for building regs and unvented systems? What test!?

1 - big label: "THIS MUST BE EARTHED" and an earth bolt underneath.
No cable...

It should be bonded.

2 - Tundish must be seen. (old one couldn't) - so he moved it so it
could be seen. Fair enough. Manual says "do not bend pipe or put in
any angles until 300mm from tundish). Mine is about 160mm

That's clearly laid out in the approved docs to the building
regulations, IIRC. It doesn't have the force of law but is
recommended good practice.

3 - Testing pressure valve and drainage? Never heard/saw it tested.
Guy never checked the exit pipework - I know because the back door was
locked.

But - he did tidy up after him and remove the old crap.

Something, I suppose. Realistically, this was a day's work, but I
would have expected a better job.

But why so slow!? Just to make a days job out of it IMO. *******.
I'mnot sure I could have done in the time he did - but I'm no expert!
I mean - it took 2 hours to drain the old tank. WHY!!!!? I know damn
well I could have done that in 10-20 mins!!

Rant over.

I've learned a lot (mainly from you guys here - many many thanks - but
also learned that some tradesman (and employees of big plumber
company) are a bunch of gits. Only go on recommendations from now on!

But job done - and no leaks!

RJ

(RJ) wrote in message . com...
Hi

My hot water cylinder is dripping, and to be honest, it looks pretty
dead - huge amounts of corrosion everywhere.

Sadly its not simple...

I've got a pressurised water system, and the cylinder is labelled
Polystel PS125 / 3 - with operating pressure of 3 bar. All the
pipework goes into the to of the cylinder through a metal cap that
looks like a beer bottle top. Its leaking from under there. The rust
is quite evident and obvious.

Photos of tank are at:-

http://www.ryanandmel.com/tank1.jpg and
http://www.ryanandmel.com/tank2.jpg

I have no idea if its direct or indirect (don't even know what this
means) - and as an avid DIY'er I know I can swap it for a like item.
However, I can find nothing at all on the web about this cylinder and
all the ones I can find have side entry pipes - which clearly isn't
what I'm looking for.

I've called 3 plumbers, and one can't quote for 3 weeks, one can't
speak to me till Monday and one isn't interested. Oh what a trade!
Any recommendations for plumbers in West Drayton/Uxbridge area
appreciated!

ANY HELP AT ALL is appreciated - this forum has been very helpful in
the past - so here's hoping!

Thanks!

RJ

..andy