John Stumbles

Default gas hob to copper pipe

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
I know it is not recommended, but I put my hob in with a cooker

flexible,
that was twenty five years ago and it is still ok. After all if it is

ok
for a cooker, why not a hob?

I thought it was allowed

The ultimate word is with the manufacturer's instructions: if it says a
flexible is OK, then it is OK, otherwise you should not use a hose. AIUI the
reasoning is that a hose is for an appliance that the user can move as with
a traditional free-standing cooker whereas a hob is fixed permanently in
place and the pipework should likewise be permanent. In practice I'd arrange
the pipework so that there's a compression joint somewhere accessible (maybe
underneath the kitchen unit) so that the hob and its section of fixed
pipework can be manoeuvered(sp?) into place and conected up easily. There
should be a valve to turn off the supply to the hob (if the valve has
compression joints this could also be where the hob section of pipework
connects, as long as the connection can be made without disturbing the
compression joint on the supply side of the valve).