Lobby Dosser

"Ray Sandusky" wrote:

Arch et. al.

The idea that one can assign a name to their "bowle" is probably akin
to the idea that one can assemble a whole book of wooden bowls and
sell it as if there was some kind of revelation contained within.

I haven't seen the 500 Bowles book, but I do have a copy of the 400
Wooden Boxes book. All of them have names, but the names seem less
affectatious than the Bowles. There are a few 'EarthMother' and 'Bubba'
boxes, but most are pretty simple or descriptive. Some of them even have
names like 'Jewelery Box', or 'Walnut Box'. I'm not sure what this means.
Perhaps the flatlanders have more confidence, or maybe they're just
trying to make a living. I've noticed that things that are 'named' cost
more. Things with names you can't pronounce cost even more. Just try any
'upscale' restaurant to see what I mean.

I do find some inspiration in the 400 Boxes book. There are even some
boxes in there that I could have done. If I hadn't got the joint wrong or
the finish hadn't orange peeled.

(BTW I submitted 3 pictures of my work to this endeavor and was given
a summary dismissal - was it becasue I did not assign names to my
work?)

If I were to assign a name to some of the bowls I make they would
probably be similar to the following

"Sugar Maple with a Nasty Catch Near the Exterior Base"
"Cherry with a Huge Crack"
"Awwww Nuts!"
"@$%&*!%!"
"The Curve Just Does Not Look Right"
"Maybe Next Time"
"Wasted Blank"
"Looked Better in the Log"
And my all time favorite.....
"Salad Bowl"

I'm very glad to hear this. It's always good to know you are not alone.

My favorite Bowles a 'Flung Off Chuck And Damn Near Knocked Me Out'
and 'Blood Of Thumb Sliced By Chuck'.

Really, I think the names are often quite nebulous and potentially
nefarious at best - I think it is better to let the work speak for
itself! Unless there is an absolute need to help someone make a
connection to the piece - although the only connection to the piece
that I can envision is the point where ones hand makes contact with
the surface of the piece. that is the only connection most of us make
- then a name could be useful!

If it is art, is there a need to assign a name?

Only if you want to make more money. See above.

If it is art, is it because someone made up a psudo psycological
moniker for the piece? {I think naming the piece might be a way to
preserve an experience we have as an artist, but will the name mean
anything to someone else?}

If it is art, does it need to affect you emotionally? {(That is like
trying to say that the 10 Commandments in the city square offends you)
I enjoy looking at (or is that viewing) paintings, but the only
emotion I experience is something like "wow - isn't that a great
painting" - I have never been brought to tears or saddened or elated
or repulsed - well maybe repulsed - but usually it is pleasurable to
look at others' work - it really is not much of an emotional
experience like some of these art bigots want you to think}

Here we diverge in in a wood. I have been brought to tears by music and
dance. Most memorably a performance of the 'Swan Lake' dying Swan scene
by Maya Plesitskya. For me, it was not a dancer on the stage. It was the
Swan. Absolutely incredible!

If it is art, is it because I said it is?

These questions/statements could go on and on....

I say my work is art, becasue I used the skills and the wood that God
gave me and did something constructive with them - to show off His
handiwork - not becasue I gave it a name!

Good Day

Ray