Ray Sandusky

Arch et. al.

The idea that one can assign a name to their "bowle" is probably akin to the
idea that one can assemble a whole book of wooden bowls and sell it as if
there was some kind of revelation contained within. (BTW I submitted 3
pictures of my work to this endeavor and was given a summary dismissal - was
it becasue I did not assign names to my work?)

If I were to assign a name to some of the bowls I make they would probably
be similar to the following

"Sugar Maple with a Nasty Catch Near the Exterior Base"
"Cherry with a Huge Crack"
"Awwww Nuts!"
"@$%&*!%!"
"The Curve Just Does Not Look Right"
"Maybe Next Time"
"Wasted Blank"
"Looked Better in the Log"
And my all time favorite.....
"Salad Bowl"

Really, I think the names are often quite nebulous and potentially nefarious
at best - I think it is better to let the work speak for itself! Unless
there is an absolute need to help someone make a connection to the piece -
although the only connection to the piece that I can envision is the point
where ones hand makes contact with the surface of the piece. that is the
only connection most of us make - then a name could be useful!

If it is art, is there a need to assign a name?

If it is art, is it because someone made up a psudo psycological moniker for
the piece? {I think naming the piece might be a way to preserve an
experience we have as an artist, but will the name mean anything to someone
else?}

If it is art, does it need to affect you emotionally? {(That is like trying
to say that the 10 Commandments in the city square offends you) I enjoy
looking at (or is that viewing) paintings, but the only emotion I experience
is something like "wow - isn't that a great painting" - I have never been
brought to tears or saddened or elated or repulsed - well maybe repulsed -
but usually it is pleasurable to look at others' work - it really is not
much of an emotional experience like some of these art bigots want you to
think}

If it is art, is it because I said it is?

These questions/statements could go on and on....

I say my work is art, becasue I used the skills and the wood that God gave
me and did something constructive with them - to show off His handiwork -
not becasue I gave it a name!

Good Day

Ray