Jamie

My car consumes only about 2 gallons/hour driving 60 miles per hour (at
roughly 30 miles per gallon), with the engine at about 2800 RPM under load.
I would certainly expect it would do a lot better than 1 gallon per hour at
600 RPM with no load. Maybe you're driving a Ford Expedition.

CO doesn't exactly suffocate you. You make it sound like you'd need there to
be more CO than oxygen in order for it to kill you. According to this, you
body will always use CO before oxygen when both are inhaled.

And yes - it can kill you very quickly.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pag...CO/co_car.html

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Jamie writes:

A typical
car can probably idle for 8 hours on a gallon of gas.

A car consumes more like 1 gallon/hour idling.

but it sure
doesn't take that long for someone to kill themself that way!

Only in Hollywood. It's not a "big nod" like in the movies.

CO emissions from cars are typically near zero. The CO2 will displace air
and suffocate you. But neither is particularly fast, and survival
instincts are hard to countermand.