Andy Hall

Default Basic electrical question

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:38:31 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:53:40 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

With my T5 router and chipboard, it will do the job in four passes
comfortably. This leaves a disk of material. You insert the ring
in the hole, invert the disc and you're done.

Is it reasonable to assume that this jig will accept other types of
router? I have a Trend T9 for on-site work and I'm assuming that the
jig would work fine with that.

Yes it would. When I got mine, which was some time ago, I hadn't
yet bought a 1/2" router.

There's some merit in using a smaller router as you can get into
slightly tighter spaces.

There are four combinations of Routabout defined by the cutter.
This is 1/4" or 1/2" and 18mm or 22mm depth.

If you are sure you are always going to use the 1/2" router, then it
probably makes sense to get the 1/2" cutter rather than swap the
collet..

One thing I am not certain about is the effect of just having the 22mm
cutter if you then want to cut into 18mm floors. I have 22mm floors
and cutter so it didn't arise. I am pretty sure that the only
effect of cutting an 18mm floor with a 22mm cutter would be to go a
few mm into a joist if you happened to be over one, however it's
possible that the rebate on the centre disc might be wrong, causing it
to end up sitting proud of or below the surround floor. If you can
wait until the weekend, I can get the jig out and check it on an 18mm
board, or you might want to call Trend and ask.
Obviously you can buy a second cutter for the other depth but they're
about £27.

Another point I forgot to mention is that it is possible to remove the
ring after installation, so the access hole can be a touch larger than
implied by the ring size.

PoP

Sending email to my published email address isn't
guaranteed to reach me.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl