J T

Fri, Oct 15, 2004, 7:59am (EDT-1) (Seeker) says:
If you live close to a Barnes & Nobles or any good franchise bookstore
just do what I did, I gathered an arm load of books and proceeded to the
nearest sofa chair and read through each until I setteled on the book or
books that included the knowledge base I was requiring then bought them.
By the way our local B&N has all the books that other responders have
identified as good sources.

Not a bad idea. However. Once you've found the one(s) you like,
if you look around a bit on the web, you can probably get them cheaper
then B&N - even including postage. Recenty got a book listed at $25,
plus postage, for less than $20, including postage. New. Another going
for $35 new, plus postage, got for around $25, new, including postage.
It's not hard, just takes about 10 minutes to check prices. IF you
look.

I still prefer used bookstores. I find the newer woodworking books
have only one or two projects that interest me, and I'm not about to pay
$30 for a book like that. I've gone to B&N and found books like that, I
wouldn't mind having, but wasn't about to part with that much, for so
little. Then stopped at the used bookstore, and more than once found
the same book, for $5-$7, in as-new condition.

JOAT
Flush the Johns.
- seen on a bumper sticker