Art Todesco

I went to the auto parts store and asked for their smallest car muffler.
The generator exhaust port is a pipe thread. I connected a piece of
pipe and an elbow to go into the muffler. The muffler came with an
adapter which allowed a snug fit over the pipe. A clamp then held it
tight to the pipe. As for quiet, is isn't, however, it is much, much
quieter than before. Friends have said that this will put back pressure
on the engine and cause problems. It probably does, however, it seems
to run just fine .... maybe because the car muffler is for a much larger
engine than in the generator.

TheKidd wrote:
Haas wrote:

I have a 7KW generator that makes a hell of a racket on a cold frozen
night when the power is out. Is there a muffler kit that can be used
on an air cooled engine, if so what type or suggestions on how to
quiet this thing.

Thanks

What you may want to try is building an enclosure that will house the
generator. The enclosure would be insulated, to dampen the noise.

The enclosure would have to be large enough to have at least a few inches of
room all around the generator. You'd also want to leave open one side of the
enclosure so that the exhaust had a place to go and also to prevent a fire.
You could then staple either insulation on the walls and cieling of the
enclosure or find egg-shell type sound proofing material to use. It will
not dampen the sound totally but could help.

-TheKidd