MM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:51:39 +0100, "Al Reynolds"
wrote:

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Richard Faulkner
writes
In message , MM
writes
Is it not a legal obligation for estate agents to confirm every offer
received by writing to the vendor? I have not received any such
written confirmation yet.

MM

Yes - "as soon as is reasonably practicable", which is generally accepted
to be on the day the offer is received, unless it is close to closing
time.

Is it a requirement that it has to be *in writing*, or just that they
must notify the vendor?

Often the contract with the agent specifies that by phone is
an acceptable alternative. Depends on the OP's contract.

Separate to Richard's helpful advice, I have since located the
Ombudsman for Estate Agents' Code of Practice, in which para 6a reads:

quote

6a

By law you must tell clients as soon as is reasonably possible about
all offers that you receive at any time until contracts have been
exchanged (in Scotland, missives have been concluded) unless the offer
is an amount or type which the client has specifically instructed you,
in writing, not to pass on. You must confirm such offers in writing
at the earliest opportunity and keep a written or computerised record
of all offers you receive (including the date and time of such offers)
and the client’s response.

/quote

As of this Thursday pm I have not received any such notice. "Looks
like war, Matilda." "Oh, what is to become of us, Harry?" "Matilda, I
just don't don't know what the world is coming to any more." "Never
mind, Harry, at least we've got each other!"

MM