Scott M

MBQ wrote:

Find the house you want to buy and offer them 10% below asking and go
from there. What you lose on your sale you may well gain (and some) on
your purchase.

Ha-ha-ha!

Took, in all, a 10% hit on our old place (£177k, dropped it to £169k,
took offer of £162k) and got exactly nothing off the new one as we had
to match a full price offer but we had a chain and they didn't. So we
won.

Was it worth it?

You betcha!

To the OP: If offers haven't been forthcoming, just take the 185k. As
mentioned before, it doesn't make a huge difference to the next mortgage
and, even if you're only selling for tuppence more than you bought,
you've made a profit.

--
Scott