The Natural Philosopher

Default Scaring rabbits

jerrybuilt wrote:

Richard wrote:

"Steve Firth" wrote...

NickW wrote:

I want that .22 rifle!!

I have a nice German air rifle. It can knock over a rabbit
perfectly well all the way across the paddock (about 300ft).
It was a damn good buy. None of that pain of having to get
a firearms certificate either.

Would you please post the details of your air weapon. i.e..
makers name and model name/number.

I have got a cheap Chinese model which is fine at close range,
but over about 20 yards it will only injure and not kill. I
would very much like to get hold of an air gun that is
effective at 100 yards.

Hi Richard, I'm afraid that you are most unlikely to get an
air rifle effective at that range. A legal gun is limited to
a muzzle energy of 12 foot pounds, and will kill a rabbit
cleanly at 30 yards at that rating - I would not shoot rabbit
much further than that with a legal air rifle. I've got a
Weihrauch HW77 (which is a .22) which is good, but heavy (but
excellent trigger).

Yes, I have that and will absolutely support your thesis that hitting
teh rabbit at 30 yds is hard, but it will generally kill them if it
does, At 60 yds its a complete hit and miss affair - a lucky shot will
get them and probably damage enough to eventually kill, but they will
still be able to run away to die, and be useless for dinner.

My best shot with such was 40 yds, clean through teh brain. Leapt up
twitched and died.

300' is, as you say, 100 yds. - perhaps Steve has boobed on
a conversion? I also use a .22 rimfire, which is useful for
rabbits to about 100 yds, but above that accuracy is a problem.

Dunno what I used, but someone tok me out, handed me a .22 and said
'crawl through there, rest on teh concrete block, and pot a rabbit' used
to tey air rifle I dsaid 'what drop should I allow?' 'No drop - its
flat' he said.

Well being a bit unconvinced of my own skill I aimed for the dead center
of a rabbit. It hit EXACTLY through the heart - within a cm of where I
was aiming. Dunno what it was, but it was supersonic allright. Some
rifle. He used to do big game hunting and has a lot of guns...I reckon
that one would probly do 300 yds no problem if I was good enough to use
it at that range...

Remember that if you get a high-powered air rifle (above the 12
ft. lb. limit) you should get a firearms certificate else you
are liable to be "had".

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com