IMM

"Rob Bradley" wrote in message
I would say even in London and with replacing the gas supply (almost
certainly needed) that £2500 would be nearer the mark.

Why would the gas supply "almost certainly"
need replacing?
He said it was OK, it's 22mm pipe, but could do with re-routing at
least, because it comes into the bedroom, along the wall and round a
corner then through into the bathroom and along the wall in there,
then through into the kitchen where the boiler is. Much better to go
under the floor, I think.

Need to replace all lockshield valves 'cos they'll leak,
Sounds good. (IMM)

He said it's because they're all "bull nose" fittings to the radiator,
and olive compression joints are better. I replaced several just
recently with drain cock type valves and I don't remember seeing
anything about them being unsuitable for pressurized systems?

At this stage it is better to replace all rad valves. They are now old.

Installer no.1 is the brother of a friend doing the work in his spare
time as he works for someone else. He isn't Corgi registered in his
own name, so would it be legal for him to commission the new boiler?

His employer should be registered (you can check that with CORGI).
Then check whether this guy is listed under their registration. (

.andy)
No. He can if he does not charge you. (IMM)

Corgi say he can't do private work even if he is listed under his
employer's registration. As far as I'm concerned that would make him
qualified to do the work but it seems it would be illegal. Maybe there
would be insurance implications if anything went wrong.
I like the idea of him not charging, but I don't think he would!

Thanks everybody

Rob

---