Gary

"patriarch astDOTnet" patriarch wrote in message
6...
"Leon" wrote in
:

First off I would recommend getting a more powerful router if you are
going to be cutting raised panels with horizontal bits.

Adding to what Leon has said - that more powerful router should likely
stay
in the table all of the time. Once you get set up to properly use the
'big
router' for raised panels and other table tasks, resetting it for other
uses is a PITA. Much more time wasted than even the hobbyist will
appreciate.

I have a Freud 2000e for my table. Others praise the Hitachi MV12 series.
Neither exceeds $200 in price.

I ordered a Hitachi 12V from Amazon yesterday. I decided on the Hitachi
because of price ($159, less a $25 promotional discount from Amazon), and it
comes with an above the table adjustment knob and assessory kit. I also
ordered a Rousseau Router Base Plate. In the mean time while I wait for
delivery, I am deciding whether to build a dedicated router cabinet or just
mount this monster into my Unisaw table.

I have owned a Ryobi 1 or 1.5 HP (?) plunge router for several years now. I
suppose I'll just continue to use it for freehand work for now until I can
afford a better one.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Gary