Chris Lewis

According to Oscar_Lives :
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement? I
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Not to belabor the points of the other posters too much, but to bring
them together...

A lot depends on individual details. Like, where is the trench going to have
to go? Can it be routed just inside your property line etc?

Is it going to interfere with your potential plans?

The "Neighborhood Karma" factor is _really_ important too.

If it were me, I'd ask to see exactly where it'd go, and then consult
with township staff and possibly with a value assessor to see what
your options are, how much it might impact your property value etc.

Ultimately leading to a contract between you and your neighbor
making him pay all costs (construction, legal, whatever), including
future repairs, with the non-performance penalty being disconnection.

Unless it was going to do something drastic to property values,
"Neighborhood Karma" suggests that you only ask for $1 compensation
over and above costs to make the contract binding.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est