Oscar_Lives

Default Should I grant an Easement?

A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement? I
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?

know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to

some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my

yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

Well, Im not a lawyer, but my brother is, and this is the sorta thing we
often discuss over a few beers when we visit with each other.

Generally, the law provides for him to seek an easment under court order,
and lacking other reasonably practical or economical means to get utilities
to his place he will likely eventually win.

And at that point both of you will have probly have spent a great deal of
$$$ on attorney's fees........

My first thought would be to offer to sell him an easment at what you would
consider to be the hassle costs on your end of the deal......

Still, even this would best be done with the services of an attorney, as it
should properly be included in the respective revised property descriptions
and deeds.......

So I would suggest you both should work together and come up with a plan,
then split attorney costs 50/50--your share coming outa the kitty he is
willing to pay for said easement.

Dont take my word on this as gospel any more than you would take your dog
groomer or butchers thoughts as being the last word.....

.....BUT.....

If I wanted quality hvac work, my brother certainly aint the guy I would go
to and pay to have do it...

=======

Or, just go on ahead and let the neighbor do it, this is probly what I would
do.......what the hell.......no good deed ever goes unpunished, no ???

--

SVL

Tom

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?

know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to

some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my

yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

I agree with "PM", in that you should allow him the easement gratis. As long
as he cleans up after himself, of course! Tom
Work at your leisure!
Robert Allison

Oscar_Lives wrote:

A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement? I
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

About the only thing that you should charge him are any costs that
YOU may incur as far as deed revision costs and perhaps a refundable
deposit to be held in escrow until he completes restoration of your
property.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Ron

I'd get an attorney. There might be future problems that you can't
anticipate and a legal contract between you and the neighbor might protect
you. What happens if your neighbor moves. Your verbal agreement may not
extend to a new owner. It's easier to CYA now then in the future.

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
Oscar_Lives wrote:

[...]

SJF

Oscar_Lives wrote:

[...]

But be sure that the location of his pipes will not unduly restrict your
future use of your property.

xrongor

this is a karma issue. unless you have a specific reason NOT to grant the
easement, grant it. dont try and profit. let them pay all fees associated
with the change, INCLUDING the cost of your lawyer. if you dont, i hope
someday it comes back to bite you on the ass and you have an unusable piece
of property without laying 10 miles of pipe.

and as someone else mentioned, if you have a mortgage, the bank will want to
know whats going on.

randy

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?
I know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to
some additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my
yard to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

Norminn

Oscar_Lives wrote:
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement? I
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

How does the neighbor get onto his property? How is it zoned? 300'
through your yard? Who maintains or repairs the sewer line if it backs
up and floods your yard? Is he going to build an apartment building?
Where does his lot drain if he builds on it? How large is his property?
If you give him the easement, it likely has value, as it would likely
increase the value of his lot. What next? If you grant the easement,
it precludes you from using that strip, such as for an addition,
structure, etc., I believe. What is with the "topography"? I think I
would want an attorney to look at it.

Joseph Meehan

Oscar_Lives wrote:
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to
some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my
yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

Generally I would say yes, but I do have a few suggestions - comments.

It may lower your property value slightly. As a buyer, I would rather
buy a lot without an easement for reasons noted below. See if you can get an
estimate.

You may have some restrictions on future activities. For example you
may not be allowed to plant trees or build (maybe a shed or garage) over
that area.

You may have problems in the future if maintenance is needed. This
could be a big problem if a access drive has been added over the easement.

You will be bothered while they do the work and during the time the
landscaping recovers.

All that said, I would say you should grant it and expect some sort of
compensation for the cost to you now and future. You legal rights may
differ from location to location so for an answer to that part, contact a
local lawyer.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

bumtracks

Been a really long time since sitting in `business law classes that touched
on real property & land easements. just some thoughts... i dunno;
Might just work with him to plumb it with no easement, no legalese.
then you'll have no restrictions & a friendly neighbor
bank shouldn't care as they generally don't finance the land.

When he sells it someday should the buyer desires an official easement -
that's where you might profit if you want to be greedy.
.... Problem with any easement is it can result in undesirable future use and
problems... like when it leaks or clogs and needs a hole dug.. or some owner
suddenly putting a driveway right over his easement, a dirt road through
your yard - other neighbor says he can no longer drive across their
property for access to his property because his easement is over there -
court would say `yep, that's the legal right of way. Who cuts and
maintains the grass over his easement

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?

know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to

some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my

yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

Trent©

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 03:43:57 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.

Describe 'feasibly'.

(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

He should have thought of that...and probably did...when he bought the
property.

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?

Get an attorney. I wouldn't give him an easement. If I HAD to, I'd
sell him the land. You might as well anyway. You won't be able to do
anything with it in the future. You certainly won't be able to build
or plant over his lines.

Get an attorney.

know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

Do you want the money? Or do you want peace of mind?...and control of
your property? You can't have both.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

Unless your property completely surrounds his property, this must be
at least one other free side where he can bring in the lines. Have
him use THAT side.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Chet Hayes

"xrongor" wrote in message ...
[...]

This depends entirely on things we don't know. Where on the property
will the easement go? Does it in any way diminish the use of the
property, ie would it prevent you from putting up a future garage,
addition, landscaping, trees, etc? Keep in mind that the easement has
to be accessable for future repair/replacement if necessary. That
means the area close to the easement isn't the best place for specimen
trees, etc.

The way I look at it, there is a range of possible fair solutions. At
one end, if you know the guy, like him and the impact to your property
is minimal, then I'd do it with him paying all the legal and
associated costs. At the other, if he bought the property cheap
because it has no access, you don't know him, and the impact will
reduce the utility of your land, I'd want him to pay the legal fees
plus compensate me a decent amount.
Joseph Meehan

bumtracks wrote:
[...]

That logic sounds good, but it does not hold up in every jurisdiction.
I once had a 100+ year old home. It had been built in the then back yard of
the home behind me. When built they just ran the sewer under the old home
and connected it to the main.

When a new owner of that house decided to add a garage, the contractor
just broke out my sewer when he put in the foundation. The end result was I
had squatters rights and the owner and his contractor had to foot the bill
for my new sewer line.

It was funny at the time. The contractor came to my door and told me I
could not use any water since it would fill his ditch. He was just going to
cap it off and wanted me to wait until the cement cured before I used any
water. Needless to say I did not agree, neither did the owner who was
rather sorry he had such a fine contractor. The county had no record of my
home let alone the sewer line, so I helped them draw in the new (over 100
year new) property split and where the sewer had gone. As it turned out my
new sewer went out a different direction to a sanitary sewer that was not
even there 100 years ago when they used combined sewers. The work on the
garage stopped after the patched my sewer until the new tap was put in.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to
some additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my
yard to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Chris Lewis

According to Oscar_Lives :
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement? I
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Not to belabor the points of the other posters too much, but to bring
them together...

A lot depends on individual details. Like, where is the trench going to have
to go? Can it be routed just inside your property line etc?

Is it going to interfere with your potential plans?

The "Neighborhood Karma" factor is _really_ important too.

If it were me, I'd ask to see exactly where it'd go, and then consult
with township staff and possibly with a value assessor to see what
your options are, how much it might impact your property value etc.

Ultimately leading to a contract between you and your neighbor
making him pay all costs (construction, legal, whatever), including
future repairs, with the non-performance penalty being disconnection.

Unless it was going to do something drastic to property values,
"Neighborhood Karma" suggests that you only ask for $1 compensation
over and above costs to make the contract binding.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Phisherman

wrote:

A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement? I
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

An easement is never a good thing when it is on YOUR property.

SQLit

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?

know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to

some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my

yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

I would be getting a hold of an attorney. Easements are forever. The
utilities get them cause of public good. Private well I do not know. Your
state should have some guide lines and what ever you pay the attorney is
money spent for piece of mind. You need to worry about the effect of the
easement when you sell the place.

Then go sit down and be an informed gentleman.

---

William Brown

The advice you will get in this forum is hardly reliable. No one knows
the credentials of the posters, and from what I have read, many are
misinformed.

I would suspect that, if it went to litigation, your neighbor would be
likely to win, but you would both run up very substantial legal fees,
and all you would receive would be the amount by which your property
value will be lessened by the easement, and you would have to hire
expert witnesses to establish that. However, this type of law varies
from state to state, and no one here even knows where you live.

My suggestion would be that you see a local lawyer and let him cut the
deal for you. He will know what costs will be involved (you will almost
certainly need a new survey and some legal documents filed), and you and
he can discuss whether your property value will be diminished, and by
how much. Then have him cut a deal that includes the neighbor paying
all costs, including your attorney's fees.

Oscar_Lives wrote:
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement? I
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

there.
Bill

Since it will lower the value of your property, I would set something up
where he has to pay you a yearly fee for the use of your property. This
should counteract the drop in your property value.

Also easements are *not* 5 ft. wide! They are more likely 25 ft. wide even
though only a small portion is used. The entire width of the easment must
be accessable to equipment to maintain the pipeline at all times. Thus you
can't build any buildings, etc. on any portion of the easement!

I would place the easement on the edge of your property. Also find out what
electric utilities pay land owners yearly to run lines through their
property.

Bulletsnbrains

And what if you want to plant a tree or two? or place a driveway to a "new
garage" in the back. And years down the road, the roots damage the sewer
pipe, and you'll be in court to see who is going to pay roto-rooter guy or
replace pipes. Plan on never expanding onto the land which has the sewer and
water. Because someone will eventually complain about the inconvenience.

In my neighborhood, the lots are about 50ft.wide. Houses are 10 ft apart. As
in my case, both the neighbors have their driveways on opposite sides of the
house from me. That leaves me without driveway access to the back yard. A
few doors down, the same problem applies to another. He worked with person
next to him and was able to get a concrete driveway laid that goes right up
against both houses. Sure hope he doesn't make a drive thru of the
house!!Now the neighbor moves out, and the other dies from cancer. Houses
are sold off. Unfortunately, couldn't tell you how well the new owners feel
about the drive now.

Else, sell the property he needs at a fair market value.

Luck,
Brian

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?
I know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to
some additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my
yard to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

Tony Hwang

Oscar_Lives wrote:
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement? I
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

Hi,
I am just wondering what kind of municipal government is doing that kind
of planning?
Tony
Harry K

wrote:

A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement? I
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

An easement is never a good thing when it is on YOUR property.

Agree. Grant an easement for say a waterline through your property,
you are stuck with it. If he needs to dig up the line he can do it at
any time without consulting with you.

Harry K
bill

By "neighbor" you mean someone who already lives rather close to you?
Because he obviously doesn't live on this lot just purchased. If he is
already in the neighborhood, then he certainly knew, or should have
known, well before his purchase that water and sewer are a problem for
this lot. All of which makes me wonder if he grabbed the lot at a very
low price, thinking he could talk you into this easement, thereby
greatly enhancing his purchase. There's no question he will greatly
benefit from the easement; I guess I would want a piece of that
benefit, particularly if he is building a house on the new property
with the intention of reselling it.

[...]

Abe

Being a homeowner that has had to do with easement issues in the past,
my very strong advice is not to grant an easement, for any reason,
whether you are compensated or not. I can't emphasize this strongly
enough.

Anything that reduces your sovereignty over the property you purchased
is just asking for trouble in unexpected and unforeseen ways.

So, draw up a contract whe
1. There is a specific start and end date for the work.
2. Specify a per diem charge of XX dollars (100 is usually pretty good
incentive) for each day the work extends past the end date, payable in
full to you, by the homeowner, at the finish of work.
3. You will be made whole for any damage the work does to your
property. Specify that the quality of work must leave the land in the
same condition that before the work was begun.
4. You are not responsible for any costs arising from Item 3 above in
the case where the land was left in 'better than original' condition.

Norminn

ADC wrote:
Be a good neighbor...you may be the one in need next time...

Being a good neighbor is not the same as being a sucker. I would be
very reluctant to give up, permanently, any right to property that I
own. If the owner of the other property is a speculator (which I've had
unhappy experience with), he has no concern with detriment to the
neighborhood or residents. He will make his money and run.

Banty

In article , PrecisionMachinisT says...

[...]

Curious, though - - apparently he *bought* property which would make it
necessary to run lines through others' property in order to build on it.
Legally, how much weight would that self-imposed fait accompli have?

Banty

willshak

Banty wrote:

[...]

A couple of other thoughts: Because the property could not have the
services required for building a house, he got it at a steal.
Now he gets an easement from a neighbor for those services. This
increases the value of the property considerably.
He can then just sell the property at its now increased value, pocketing
a nice profit, or build a POS basic house on spec and realize a greater
profit. He may never intend to be a neighbor at all.
ClaudCar

IMNBHO, yes, you "should" grant an easement and yes, you "should" get paid
for it. The easement should be REAL clear as to who is responsible for this
sewer line and that if trees planted subsequently grow into it, or driveway
or future construction causes problems with it, it is HIS problem, not
yours. How much? well he pays all legal to draw up easement agreement.
and gives you the going rate per square foot for unimproved land in your
area - which he knows since he just bought some.
______________________
Claudia
Totus Tuus

Andy Asberry

wrote:

A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement? I
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

Others have addressed the easement proper. I would be concerned about
possible liability for anyone on your property; the neighbor,
inspectors, construction workers, meter readers, etc. Both during the
initial construction and subsequent repairs.

I would not be content with anything less than a liability policy that
names you as an additional insured. It would really suck to lose your
home in a lawsuit because you helped someone out.
HA HA Budys Here

From: Norminn

ADC wrote:
Be a good neighbor...you may be the one in need next time...

Being a good neighbor is not the same as being a sucker. I would be
very reluctant to give up, permanently, any right to property that I
own. If the owner of the other property is a speculator (which I've had
unhappy experience with), he has no concern with detriment to the
neighborhood or residents. He will make his money and run.

I had a similar experience. I have a lot 125' wide, and next door was a 50' lot
which was unbuildable in my municipality. Lots must be 75' or better street
frontage to build.

The owner of this lot tried to sell me this lot 4 times between 1981 and 1992,
and also to the 3 neighbors on the other side who've come and gone since 1981.

In '92 I had occasion to look up the lot owner as someone had dumped a load of
junk and asphalt on the vacant lot and I wanted it cleaned up. As it happens,
when I got home with the owner's address and phone number, a gentleman was
parked IFO my house, wanting to purchase 25' of my side yard abutting this 50'
lot. He *said* he was the owner and wants to build *his* home in a similar
fashion to mine, only smaller, but not so small as to only fit on the existing
50' parcel.

(But just having been to town hall, unless he closed on the property that day,
I knew that not to be true, and found out it wasn't)

To make a long story short - his plan was to convince me to sell 25' of my land
so he could build and live in a decent size home suitable for the neighborhood,
or else he'll build a home nobody would like and I'll forever have to live next
to a dinky cottage.

Well, this is how speculators work my friend. They lie. He did not buy or own
the land, he was testing the waters. He lived in an exclusive waterfront
community nearby. He could not build on the 50' lot anyway, w/o a variance -
unattainable when 2 property owners abutting the property object (which we
would) only the original owner could build IF the ownership pre-dates zoning
laws, which it didn't.

In the end, I purchased the lot myself for 8000.00, added my extra 25' and
built my own investment home. Not because I wanted to, but because If I didn't,
some greedy speculator would figure out a way.

Chet Hayes

Abe wrote in message . ..
[...]

You know what I find interesting about this and similar threads?
Someone asks an open ended question, giving hardly any info to base
advice on and then disappears. There are probably 20 posts here so
far, with all kinds of good questions raised and only the original was
from the person who started the whole thing and presumably has the
most interest.
Oscar_Lives

"Chet Hayes" wrote in message
om...
Abe wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks for all the advice and comments. Here's some more detail:

The guy who bought the lot with no access lives across town. I have no idea
if he is a spec developer, wants to build his personal dream house for
retirement, wants to put in a subdivision, or if he wants to build a Muslim
church and pre-school.

The lot is on a street that also serves as the boundary for the city limits.
The area was annexed approximately 15 years ago, and there are few houses on
the street. The newest house there is about 10 years old, and the city has
spent millions of dollars upgrading the sewer system and probably passed
some ordinances to require all new construction homes in the city limits to
be hooked up to the sewer system so they can get more money to help pay it
off. Older houses are probably grandfathered for their sewer lagoons and
septic tanks.

I live in a very hilly part of the world, and the lot that has no access is
lower in elevation than mine by probably at least 40 feet.

Yes, there is probably another route or two that the sewer lines and water
could be run, but it would be a whole lot longer run than to just come
through my lot. There would be about six other landowners the other ways to
get it here.

Yes, I agree the guy was a supreme idiot if he bought the lot without
knowing there was no sewer access.

The lot has been for sale since Moses, so I would imagine he got it for not
much money. My thoughts exactly that if the easement benefits his lot
greatly, then I should also benefit.

I already have an easement across the back of my yard that a previous owner
granted 10 years ago when a fool built a house three lots down before he
found out there was no sewer service. This easement is for a 4" sewer force
sewer line for one house. I wouldn't know it was there except for the two
cleanout plugs my mower busted off because I cut it short this summer.
Looking at my abstract, it appears that it took about 5 years in court to
finally get a court order to force the previous owner of my house to allow
the easement. No money changed hands that I can see in the legal
documentation.

The new proposed easement likely would also include running along my side
yard to get to the water main on the street. This would be much longer and
more worrisome than another 4" line running across the back yard next to the
existing one.

I don't feel like I should screw the guy, but I also don't feel like I
should be used for his huge financial gain.

Right now, it is all talk and no agreements nor any contracts nor any
formalities have been presented to me. I don't know for sure what they are
wanting or if/what they are willing to do to get it. He did admit that he
has had a well-know attorney/land developer who is also the city's mayor
working on his issues. I doubt that I could find a more powerful or
effective attorney than the one this guy has, so I figure I am ****ed.

Anyway, that is about all I know and some more detail. Thanks for all the
thoughts, advice, and comments. You folks gave me some things to think
about that never crossed my mind.

HA HA Budys Here

Quickly, hire HIS really good, politically-connected lawyer for something
stupid, minor, and cheap. Then he can't use that lawyer against you!