Andy Hall

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:05:32 +0100, "Rob Bradley"
wrote:

Thanks to all who replied to my previous posts, I'm slowly getting a
better idea of what I want.
Unfortunately, the two quotations I've had gave opposing advice
(number three didn't bother to turn up).
Given that a combi seems to be the way to go:
Heating engineer no.1 says: Ferroli F30, non-condensing, reliable in
his experience. Fitted, tanks etc removed from old system, power flush
with hired equipment (if I want, but would prefer to remove rads and
flush outside), should take about one day with his mate, cost £1230.
Seems reasonable?

The price is reasonable, and the flushing method - not sure about the
boiler because it is very low efficiency.

No.2 says: Vaillant ecoMax 835E condensing, the only boiler he
recommends. Ferroli are very unreliable.

Vaillant make good products, but not the *only* good product. He
probably would say that anything else is unreliable.

Non-condensing are a waste of
time because the Government is likely to reduce the time manufacturers
have to stock spares for old boilers so we all have to have
condensing.

AIUI, manufacturers have to agree to stock spares for at least ten
years after date of last manufacture to get a gas council approval for
the boiler.

Clearly the government (not even Rocky) can reasonably legislate about
spares for older products being made unavailable. I think that this
guy is doing some wishful thinking.

Need to replace all lockshield valves 'cos they'll leak,
and room 'stat for £115.

Replacing valves could make sense if the system is oldish. Running a
sealed system could make them weep. I replaced mine when I
refurbished my system at the same time as taking the radiators outside
to be flushed. They are cheap to do at the time and a pain
afterwards.

Powerflush essential, and better than taking
rads off, £350.

It's an alternative, but not necessarily better. Some form of flushing
is essential, and there should be a strainer fitted to the return to
the boiler to filter out any remaining crud.
£350 is high.

Boiler £3292. 2-3 days work. Discount if I take out a
BG service contract.(Why?)

Simple. He gets something from BG to sell the contract.

He seems to be trying it on at £3292 to install a roughly £1000
boiler. He's a local (2 man) trader, but surely even BG would be
cheaper? At least he tested the mains water pressure and flow (20
l/min) which is more than no.1 did.

BG probably more.

Installer no.1 is the brother of a friend doing the work in his spare
time as he works for someone else. He isn't Corgi registered in his
own name, so would it be legal for him to commission the new boiler?

His employer should be registered (you can check that with CORGI).
Then check whether this guy is listed under their registration.

I'm leaning towards a condensing combi as more up to date, though
maybe there are bargains to be had if stocks of obsolescent
non-condensing boilers have to be shifted before April 2005. From what
I've read here, Vaillant or Worcester Bosch might be safer bets than
Ferroli?

Vaillant and WB are both good products but would likely be more than
the Ferroli.

Her indoors is starting to mutter about why pay a fortune to get rid
of the Glow worm gravity system which is simple, not to say primitive,
and reliable, but the DHW flow is pathetic, and the gas bills are
high. There's still the sludge to shift whatever we do about boilers
of course.

So, three options: no.1, possible. No.2, er, no, I think not. Or,
stick as we are until the Glow worm conks out and go through this all
over again.

Another strategy might be to wait until after next April.
Competition on condensing products should reduce prices a bit.

It would be nice if you could get the kind of price point of No. 1,
with a better boiler and be sure of CORGI registration.

No. 2. is a rip-off IMHO, especially as there are a few misleading
comments.

Rob

---

..andy