Trent©

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 03:43:57 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.

Describe 'feasibly'.

(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

He should have thought of that...and probably did...when he bought the
property.

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?

Get an attorney. I wouldn't give him an easement. If I HAD to, I'd
sell him the land. You might as well anyway. You won't be able to do
anything with it in the future. You certainly won't be able to build
or plant over his lines.

Get an attorney.

know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to some
additional compensation for the trouble.

Do you want the money? Or do you want peace of mind?...and control of
your property? You can't have both.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

Unless your property completely surrounds his property, this must be
at least one other free side where he can bring in the lines. Have
him use THAT side.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent