Rob Bradley

Default Boiler update

Thanks to all who replied to my previous posts, I'm slowly getting a
better idea of what I want.
Unfortunately, the two quotations I've had gave opposing advice
(number three didn't bother to turn up).
Given that a combi seems to be the way to go:
Heating engineer no.1 says: Ferroli F30, non-condensing, reliable in
his experience. Fitted, tanks etc removed from old system, power flush
with hired equipment (if I want, but would prefer to remove rads and
flush outside), should take about one day with his mate, cost £1230.
Seems reasonable?

No.2 says: Vaillant ecoMax 835E condensing, the only boiler he
recommends. Ferroli are very unreliable. Non-condensing are a waste of
time because the Government is likely to reduce the time manufacturers
have to stock spares for old boilers so we all have to have
condensing. Need to replace all lockshield valves 'cos they'll leak,
and room 'stat for £115. Powerflush essential, and better than taking
rads off, £350. Boiler £3292. 2-3 days work. Discount if I take out a
BG service contract.(Why?)
He seems to be trying it on at £3292 to install a roughly £1000
boiler. He's a local (2 man) trader, but surely even BG would be
cheaper? At least he tested the mains water pressure and flow (20
l/min) which is more than no.1 did.

Installer no.1 is the brother of a friend doing the work in his spare
time as he works for someone else. He isn't Corgi registered in his
own name, so would it be legal for him to commission the new boiler?

I'm leaning towards a condensing combi as more up to date, though
maybe there are bargains to be had if stocks of obsolescent
non-condensing boilers have to be shifted before April 2005. From what
I've read here, Vaillant or Worcester Bosch might be safer bets than
Ferroli?

Her indoors is starting to mutter about why pay a fortune to get rid
of the Glow worm gravity system which is simple, not to say primitive,
and reliable, but the DHW flow is pathetic, and the gas bills are
high. There's still the sludge to shift whatever we do about boilers
of course.

So, three options: no.1, possible. No.2, er, no, I think not. Or,
stick as we are until the Glow worm conks out and go through this all
over again.

Rob

---