Mark Trueman

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mark Trueman" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

Yes, it may be the first failed diverter valve of the year, and it has
inspired me to thing about replacing my whole system. Firstly a bit of
background about the current system.

House is a 2 bed end terrace, currently only has 5 radiators, one in
the lounge (open plan to dining room), one in the kitchen extension
(which gets really cold in the winter - insulation problem there i
think), one in the master bed, one in the hall and one in the bathroom.
Second bedroom doesnt have a rad. They are all old rads, no TRVs or
anything. The system as a whole is absolute crud. Some of the rads are
in series with each other, some (in the kitchen extension) are teed
off. Hot water is heated indirectly in a standard cylinder in the
second bedroom airing cupboard. Theres a pump and a diverter under the
floor(!!!) in the dining room, by the Baxi back boiler. As SWMBO wanted
laminate, thats the replacement of that scuppered. I dont even think
its all plumbed in right, you have to have the hot water on for half an
hour before you have the heating on in order to get any hot water at
all. I think that the hot water is pumped through the rads before it
heats the cylinder water, so its cold by the time it gets there!!

Our only requirements of the new system are....

6 new radiators and pipework that must be hidden underfloor
(floorboards and joists), sized to handle our heat requirements.

Keeping the ability to store hot water in the cylinder - two reasons
here which i think are valid - 1. our venturi shower wont work without
a hot water cylinder. 2. The wife likes the occasional bath.

I am umming and aahing about whether to do this diy, as it needs to be
in before it starts getting really cold, and working full time, i dont
have much of it spare to do something like this. And of course, i
havent done a central heating install before. Im confident that my
plumbing and electrical skills are up to it though.

Also, i need to keep the cost around the 1500 mark.

So on to my questions and musings.....

Can i easily keep the current indirect heating system used for our hot
water, while replacing the central heating section. Can a
combi/condensing boiler do indirect water heating efficiently.

Pipework under laminate floor - any suggestions. I think removal of
aforementioned minging flooring is the best option.

TRVs/Thermostats etc... We just want the whole house to be warm, not
really bothered about upstairs being cooler than downstairs etc. Whats
the best way to do this. Im guessing at trvs on all rads (except
bathroom one), but would you recommend a room thermostat in the lounge
to tie in with these. If someone could explain the need for room
thermostats when you have trvs i would appreciate it (seen a few
installs with trvs and thermostats but dont really understand why you
need thermostats when the temp is controlled by the trvs)

Types of boiler/boiler recommendations that fit in with our budget
would also be appreciated.

Im sure there are a load of things ive missed out, but any pointers
would be appreciated (and yes, i have read the faq etc)

Mark,

To DIY go combi. they are a doddle to fit and are quicker too. It will
modulate down to the heating needs of the small house. No complex zone
vales
or control wiring, etc. You will need a decent flowrate as you will want
the occasional bath. A condenser? try the Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 40kW
combi at 16 litres/min. You will not be disappointed.

You will be using most of the existing rads, so no great thing there. Put
de-sludge in the system for as long as you can (max one month), before you
rip out the old boiler. Flush well. Look at installing a kickspace
heater
in the kitchen. Put TVRs upstairs only.

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...40HE_PLUS.html

At 1300 for that boiler alone, i think my budget of 1500 can not be met by
your suggestion.

Radiators will need replacing as they must be about as old as i am, no bleed
valves on them or anything. Load of rubbish they are

And as much as i would love a TVR , it would probably break down on the way
up the stairs

But thanks for the info anyway