Bob

"John Orrett" wrote in message
k...

I missed the start of this thread, but...

Don't worry Bob, you didn't miss much :-)

Common sense should tell you that the salesman is talking out of his
arse. On a wall or on the bath, all a tap does is turn the water from
the pipe on and off, and the result will be the same from either
location.

Thanks for that. Don't know why the guy in the shop insisted we need a
combi. They are not plumbing merchants, so there would be no extra

finacial
gain for them.

The real issue is whether your system can supply enough hot water at a
sufficient rate to fill the new bath in a reasonable time (will the
new bath be bigger than your existing one?). This is also not
dependent on whether the boiler is combi.

At present we need both the immersion and the boiler to give us a decent
bathful of hot water.

If your new bath is a similar size to the old one, and you can
happily fill it at the moment, you don't need a new boiler.

My wife wants one of these 'shower baths', the ones with a bulge at one

end.
I don't know capacities or volumes of our standard bath compared to a

shower
bath, but it looks to me like it would need a lot more hot water or end up
with half a bath!

Thanks for taking the time to reply Bob,
Regards
John

Perhaps you were talking a cross-purposes then. It does sound like you
could do with some improvements to your hot water system - but you would
need to do it no matter where the taps are going!

A combi may not be the best solution, though. Most that I've experienced
suffer from low flow rate, so it would take ages to fill a sink, let alone a
bath. I know IMM will jump in with advice about high flow rate combis and
ones with a bit of built in storage to avoid them having to fire up
everytime you turn the tap on, and he's right - they have improved a lot
over the years. However, it mostly comes down to your mains water supply.

Personally, I'd probably keep the traditional system (you'll then still have
an immersion for emergency backup for when (not if) the boiler fails). You
just need a bigger hot water tank.

Bob