Bob

"John Orrett" wrote in message
k...
Christian McArdle wrote:
Hi all; my wife has advised me that we are getting a new bathroom
suite! she would like one that has the taps in the wall rather than
on the bath itself. The shop told her that we cannot do this at
present as we only have a Gloworm Ultimate 50 boiler and an
immersion heater, and not a combi.

That makes as much sense as the sentence:

I like oranges, so I can't go on holiday to Switzerland.

If you're happy with your current boiler, and it isn't already
running flat out in the winter, you could always just replace your
direct immersion tank so that it runs off the central heating. If
you're lucky, the old tank may already have an unused indirect coil
that you could use.

Christian.

Sorry Christian; I don't see where you are coming from. The point of the
question was the fact that the Bathroom retailer told us we couldn't do

what
we wanted, i.e. taps in wall and not taps on bath due not not having a

combi
boiler. The above is a statement of fact and not a question. The rest of

my
ramblings might not have made sense to you (or anybody else for that
matter!). That was the point of posting; to get advice. I take your point
about running the immersion tank from the central heating, and I will look
into that. This still does not, however, answer the original point. Do we

or
do we not need a combi like the man said, or is he incorrect, and our
current boiler (and water pressure, I presume) would be sufficient for the
job?
Regards
John

I missed the start of this thread, but...

Common sense should tell you that the salesman is talking out of his arse.
On a wall or on the bath, all a tap does is turn the water from the pipe on
and off, and the result will be the same from either location.

The real issue is whether your system can supply enough hot water at a
sufficient rate to fill the new bath in a reasonable time (will the new bath
be bigger than your existing one?). This is also not dependent on whether
the boiler is combi.

If your new bath is a similar size to the old one, and you can happily fill
it at the moment, you don't need a new boiler.

Bob