Joseph Meehan

Oscar_Lives wrote:
A neighbor is wanting an easement for sewer and water access for a lot he
purchased. Due to our topography, his lot does not have access to city
sewer and water service, and my lot is the only way to feasibly get it.
(City won't approve a septic system for him.)

My question: Should I expect to be paid by him for granting an easement?
know that he would be responsible for the cost of running the pipes,
restoring my yard, etc., but it seems that I should also be entitled to
some
additional compensation for the trouble.

The way I figure, he is going to have to trench about 300 feet along my
yard
to reach the street and utilities. (I have about a 2 acre lot.)

Thanks for the advice.

Generally I would say yes, but I do have a few suggestions - comments.

It may lower your property value slightly. As a buyer, I would rather
buy a lot without an easement for reasons noted below. See if you can get an
estimate.

You may have some restrictions on future activities. For example you
may not be allowed to plant trees or build (maybe a shed or garage) over
that area.

You may have problems in the future if maintenance is needed. This
could be a big problem if a access drive has been added over the easement.

You will be bothered while they do the work and during the time the
landscaping recovers.

All that said, I would say you should grant it and expect some sort of
compensation for the cost to you now and future. You legal rights may
differ from location to location so for an answer to that part, contact a
local lawyer.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math