John Orrett

John Rumm wrote:
John Orrett wrote:

Hi all; my wife has advised me that we are getting a new bathroom
suite! she would like one that has the taps in the wall rather than
on the bath itself. The shop told her that we cannot do this at
present as we only have a Gloworm Ultimate 50 boiler and an
immersion heater, and not a combi.

Not sure I quite follow that. It may be the taps they have are of
continental design and are intended to run on mains pressure hot
water. They would probably still work with your gravity fed setup but
at a reduced flow rate to that which you are used to. It will depend
how far above the taps your cold water cistern is (i.e. the amount of
"head" you have)

Note that a combi boiler is only one of several ways to get mains
pressure hot water, heatbanks, thermal stores etc are also options.
You can google back through this group for the many discussions on
the pros and cos of combis and work out if one is appropriate for your
circumstance... (be prepared for some long threads!)

Couple of questions that I would like some help with please.

1. Does a combi need any more ventilation space around it or
external venting than the present boiler (which is situated in the
kitchen behind a false cupboard door)?

No. They are all room sealed with regard flue gasses anyway. Most need
space above to accommodate the flue exit (approx 20cm), and a variable
amount around depending on the make and model of boiler. Some require
practically none.

2. Can I run the central heating via a combi?

Yes. If you could not then it would not be a combi but a multipoint
water heater.

snip

Hi John, I think I was getting confused with a multipoint and a combi. In
our previous house(17 years ago now) it was a multipoint we had that gave
hot water on demand. Excusing the ignorance, but is it a combi or multipoint
we should be looking at?
Many thanks for taking the time to respond,
Regards
John