Harry Bloomfield

Default What cable to use for audio (phono) diy connections?

On 02/02/2004 The Natural Philosopher opined:-
Richard Savage wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My 15 years desinging auidio equipment and testing it to destruction
with avery instrument and several sets ofgolden ears shows me that this
is utter ********.

Forgive me for expressing my experience I stand, better still bow, before
your
clearly superior knowledge and such humility in sharing it with us lesser
mortals.

All I know is that if I use the naff phono cables thrown in free with the
hifi
components and replace them with some unreasonably expensive Cambridge
Audio
items the reproduction is clearer and distortion doesn't appear until much
higher amplification.

Then there is something fundamentally wrong with your kit, your ears, or your
brain.

Richard

I'm certainly not an audiophile, but I once attended a demonstatration
where two identical systems had been set up alongside each other,
except one of the systems had OFC cable plus gold plated connectors.
The demonstration proceeded, where the demonstrator pointed out how
much better sounding the unit on the left was than the one on the right
fitted with the standard cables. All the audiophiles were nodding their
heads in approval with the person demonstrating the equipment and
smiling their agreement.

Towards the end the demonstrator span the equipment round to show off
the magic cable and connectors, failing to realise that the guy who had
assembled the units had fitted the OFC on the right hand units by
mistake.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)