Chet Hayes

(Wa6tkq) wrote in message ...
I have been having trouble hooking up my DSL and am wondering if it is due to

old phone lines.

Do you have any other devices plugged into your phone lines? Telephones,
answering machines, security alarm lines, satellite tv boxes, TIVO boxes? If
so, they have to be unplugged or isolated with a filter.

DSL is designed to work on average phone lines. That said, the signal
quality depends on many things. One is how far you are from the DSL
eqpt on the other end. Another is how many wire gauge changes and
bridge taps there are on the line. A line that has more branchs
tapped off it to go to other rooms, buildings, etc., is more
difficult.

That said, I doubt it's the wiring in your house that's the problem.
I sure wouldn't worry about the wiring inside the house until you can
verify that it works on a line either outside or just after it enters
the house, with nothing else connected.