Greg G.

Ken G. said:

When your wood is spinning at hundreds of RPM's, it's going too fast for
you to think about "the transition from wood to air"--for God sakes,
don't be so cerebral about it! :-)

It's just my nature, I'm afraid. Having an electronics and computer
programming background, I plan everything and worry over every nuance
of every possible complication. :-\

Sure, the tool technique is just slightly different for interupted cuts
compared to solid wood. You are still rubbing the bevel as recommended
by all the books, videos, and websites on gouge technique, but with some
restraint on advancing the tool into the cut. If your speed is high
enough, and tool is very sharp with an appropriate grind, it will be a
piece of cake with the biggest difference from turning solid wood being
the sound of the cut.

That's good to know. I'm going to experiment with a few segmented
vessels - possibly next week.

Also, when starting out with segmented turning using different woods, it
helps to use only woods with similar working characteristics. Walnut and
cherry are perfect matches not only because of the color differences and
similar hardness, but they have very close rates of
expansion/contraction during seasonal changes in humidity so are not
likely to delaminate over time.

Thanks for the info! BTW, I looked at your site - nice work! I
especially liked the Spalted Maple lidded box with locking lid. I
aspire to be a purveyor of fine artistic items to family, friends, and
anyone with large amounts of cash... ;-)

Greg G.