Wayne

wire in a jack outside and run an extension cord outside to go around the
wiring in your house if you wan to check. Tuesday is not far away. Do you
get the link that shows a DSL signal at all?

I had one friend where I spent over an hour trying to get DSL to work only
to discover it was not wired to the right place?

Wayne

"Me" wrote in message
m...
I have been having trouble hooking up my DSL and am wondering if it is
due to old phone lines. The tech support folks can't test the outside
line until Tuesday and they seem to think everything is fine. I'm
thinking it may be the quality of the line inside the house itself.

The house is from 1942 and the phone lines are probably pretty old.
Does there have to be a certain type of phone line in the house for
DSL to work? The line sounds clean when you use the phone, but I'm
not sure whether or not DSL only works on 'modern' lines.

The tech guys asked me to plug the modem directly into the telephone
box outside, but I don't have one! The line comes from the road and
enters a plain junction box outside above the front door, and then
goes into the house.

Should I bother rewiring the inside of the house with newer phone
line? Or shouldn't it matter? In the meantime, I am paying for DSL
that I can not use!

Thanks,
Steve