WoodMangler

J. Clarke did say:

When I encounter a bicycle I assume that the guy is going to fall off in
front of me--the way a lot of folks ride it's not that risky a bet. But
it's frustrating to have to trundle along at bicycle speed because giving
the guy adequate clearance would mean going into oncoming traffic.
Especially when the bicyclist is usually oblivious to the laws in most
states that require slow moving vehicles to move aside at the earliest
opportunity when there is a line of traffic blocked up behind them.

But, I'm going to add another preach--TEACH YOUR KIDS TO RIDE _WITH_ TRAFFIC
not _AGAINST_ it. If somebody's on a bicycle in the wrong lane you don't
always have lot of time to react. One of the scariest things I ever saw
was four kids on bicycles, southbound in the northbound right hand lane of
an Interstate highway, in moderately heavy traffic, back when the speed
limit was 70. I got off at the next exit and called the Highway Patrol who
I had the distinct impression thought I was crazy. Didn't hear anything
about them on the news so presumably they got caught before they got hit.
If ever I've seen a miracle, their survival was it. If I'd been in the
right lane instead of the left when I saw them, I don't know that I'd have
been able to stop or dodge before I hit one of them.

It's certainly important for cyclists to understand the rules of the road.
More-so since we'll pay a higher price for misunderstandings than the
multi-ton machines we butt heads with.

I do understand that it is frustrating to be stuck behind someone slow,
especially when they've ignored opportunities to allow faster traffic to
pass safely. Some, unlike you, choose to physically remove the obstacle
from their path - endangering lives to alleviate their frustration. I'm
likely to pull around these inconsiderate cyclists at the first safe
opportunity to do so, then stop a ways ahead, and when they
catch up offer them my view of how an experienced rider might have ridden
that stretch of road. I've done that a few times, and have never had an
unpleasant interaction with them. Cyclists, like woodworkers, are always
interested in knowing how to engage in their pastime safely. Since that
means less worry and fear, that almost always translates into more
enjoyably.

As for riding a bicycle against traffic on a busy Interstate... Well,
there's natural selection to consider.