Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

But it sounds like she saw me and her food slipped off the
brake pedal.

Well there's her problem right there. Jeez everyone knows you must
secure the item to the pedal. That's why I only use broccoli with the
rubber band or a rump roast with the netting - something that'll hold it
securely to the brake pedal.

Glad to hear things weren't worse Steve... as in my opening The
Oregonian this morning to read about some plane builder losing his sole
on 82nd Street. Those helmets are life savers. I have no doubt that it
quite likely saved mine - or at least averted some severe head trauma.

A couple years back I was peddling errands around my little 'berg with
my then 3 year old daughter in a carrier mounted behind the saddle. (She
had her helmet on too - picture Peanuts comic strip with Rerun.) Anyway,
I was making a turn onto a city street with a train track that runs down
the center. My front wheel got pulled into and became trapped in the
deep and narrow rut between the rail and the surrounding pavement. The
handlebars were ripped out of my grasp and a split second later I was
going over the front of the bike. I tucked my arm against my chest
hoping to roll off my side and shoulder rather than land on an
outstretched hand/arm. I hit the pavement pretty hard on my entire right
side - from hip to shoulder. I recall the bang of my helmet hitting the
roadway and scrambled to my feet as quickly as I could to get me and my
daughter out of any traffic that might not see us on the ground.

Luckily she was A-OK. A little jostled around but still held securely in
her seat/rollcage. My helmet was cracked in two places and if not for
the outer plastic shell would have been in pieces. My bike was OK. Still
very shaken I rode home with her saying, "Go slower daddy. Go slower."
It scares me to think of what might have happened had I not previously
developed the habit of wearing a helmet. It is absolutely the number one
requirement in our household before any bike riding takes place.

____

The problem in this country is that the bar is constantly being lowered;
we then cheer clearing the bar as a great accomplishment and achievment.