G&M

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
Knowledgable People

My build progresses, we are now in the process of ordering the timber,
and as normal the location issue makes life hard.

I have a neighbour with a portable log saw, who can cut trees down to
any size joists and planks, and we have a good supply of trees from
the local managed forrests. He can also deliver by tractor, wich helps
somewhat.

The engineer has specifed D30 Grade for the Oak, and C16 for the other
timbers. Unfortunatly wood from my neighbour is ungraded, and Mr
Building Inspector could well get upset at this.

All the C16 timer in the wood yards is ugly, mine will be on show, so
I would like some nice looking wood, Douglas Fir is favorite right
now.

I have looked for an idiots guide to grading, and one does not exist,
it appears that wood is "visually graded" by a "skilled" person.

The current plan is to find a suitable "skilled person" and pay
him/her to trundle on out to my house and grade my wood.

Where would I go to find such a person, I have been to 3 saw mills in
my area, none of them can grade wood, do I just keep expanding my
search ?

Am I missing something obvious ?

Graded wood must now be kiln dried in an approved kiln. Without that your
friend's wood is unusable in construction - no ifs, maybes or workarounds.