William R. Walsh

Hi!

Yes, there is. And even worse: many PC's will not work with a
keyboard that is switched this way.

Not likely on a well designed motherboard using a *decent* switchbox. Most
boards have no problems with an "unexpected keyboard disconnect" so long as
a key wasn't being pressed when it happened.

There is the odd system that doesn't handle it well (beeping, garbage key
entries, incorrect key functions, or total keyboard lockout) but these are
not as common. Causing a permanent failure is even more unlikely, but with
today's "Super I/O chips" that hold all basic I/O functions in one large
packaged IC, this may be a gamble you aren't willing to take.

And as a KVM also switches your mouse and display, you will end
up with even more free space on your desk :-)

Some KVMs do not work well with some kinds of equipment. You don't have to
look very hard to find equipment that doesn't work well or at all with one,
a few or all types of KVMs out there.

William