Greg G.

Stuart Johnson said:

In article , wrote:

Anyhow, I want to practice making small segmented and open segmented
turnings. Tweaking the jigs and such as I go.

Is it possible to use cheap materials like southern yellow pine for
practice before moving on to ruin more expensive woods?

I don't know why you can't use whatever you have on hand for setting up
and tweaking your jigs. The jigs are for getting the correct angles so there
is no need to actually turn the ring. Once you are satisfied with the jig then
switch to an inexpensive hardwood to get some practice gluing up the actual
pieces.

No reason for the jigs, but I want to practice *turning* the end
result as well. I am assuming that segmented bowls - or worse, an
open segmented bowl - may place varying (even impact) loads on the
tool, and that a technique has to be developed to compensate for
varying wood grain, hardness, and the transition from wood to air.

Of course, I could be assuming incorrectly... ;-)

Greg G.