MiniEmma

"L" wrote in message
Firstly please forgive cross posting - am unsure which group would be best
placed to help....

During the heavy thunderstorms in August, a friend of mine lost the use of
her telephone and modem. Computer repairer says modem was knocked out my
lightening and replaced it. Now she has received her telephone bill
showing
a £50 charge which BT say is because the damage caused to her telephone
line
was due to her having a computer using the same line.

This sounds like complete rubbish to me and she has asked me to pen her a
letter refuting this, but I would of course prefer to know that I'm not
talking utter rubbish before I do so...any help/advice would be welcome.

I think you need to find out exactly what was said by the engineer who
visited the house - if one did infact visit?

If he came and unplugged the modem and then the phone line worked
immediately then your friend does indeed have to pay for the visit.

It's always a good idea when you have a phone line fault to do most of the
fault finding yourself, i.e. unplug EVERYTHING from EVERY socket and try one
thing at a time checking the line each time