Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"L" writes:
Firstly please forgive cross posting - am unsure which group would be best
placed to help....

During the heavy thunderstorms in August, a friend of mine lost the use of
her telephone and modem. Computer repairer says modem was knocked out my
lightening and replaced it. Now she has received her telephone bill showing
a £50 charge which BT say is because the damage caused to her telephone line
was due to her having a computer using the same line.

This sounds like complete rubbish to me and she has asked me to pen her a
letter refuting this, but I would of course prefer to know that I'm not
talking utter rubbish before I do so...any help/advice would be welcome.

Did she report the faulty modem to BT as a line fault?
If so, BT will charge for investigating it.

If she has done something which destroyed a BT line card
like sticking mains back down the line, the charge would
be a lot more than £50 (and I suspect the line would
remain cut off until BT had satisfied themselves she
wasn't able to do it again).

--
Andrew Gabriel