George

"Am turning" seems to suggest over a period of time. As the cracks are
certainly the result of green wood drying, your best advice is to schedule
your turning to get the center out immediately after turning the outside.
Failing that, bag your bowl in plastic when not working - I'll let Leif
offer his alternative - to hold moisture.

Now, are the "cracks" just end checks caused by surface dryness, or are they
the biggies that run through where the wall will be? If the former, turn
them away and dry with care. If the latter, lots of advice, but red oak is
not precious enough, in my opinion, to go to such lengths as others have
mentioned. If it's otherwise ordinary wood, pitch and begin anew. If
highly figured, have at it with either CA or Epoxy-supported fill,
remembering that highly contrasting is usually preferable to similar.

"Frosty Thunder" wrote in message
I am turning a red oak bowl and have several cracks that have developed.
What is the best way to repair this? I have heard of epoxy being used but
don't know what type or where to get it. Any thoughts would be

appricated.

George