Denis Marier

Bluntly, there is no unsightly way to repair a cracked bowl.
Cracked bowls are look at on a case by case basis.
Epoxy does not adhere well on oily and porous wood. Traditionally, acetone
is used to remove oxidation and natural oil before using epoxy. Even at
that teak and oak need mechanical devices (screws, dowels and joinery) to
provide a good bonding.
Depending on the structural nature of the cracks many woodturners do take
advantage of these hairline openings. Providing that the structure of the
bowl is sound, the cracks are filled with CA clue to enhance the beauty of
the bowl. Filling agents are sometime used with colors according to the
taste of the woodturner. The other day I was working at finishing a cracked
bowl when a piece of red oak went airborne and struck my face shield. Since
then many of the cracked bowls go directly into the woodstove. When making
the rough blanks I try to make sure that the pit is completely removed and
no apparent cracks are present before coating with Anchorseal.

"Frosty Thunder" wrote in message
I am turning a red oak bowl and have several cracks that have developed.
What is the best way to repair this? I have heard of epoxy being used but
don't know what type or where to get it. Any thoughts would be

appricated.

George