Mike Marlow

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Hey Swingman - what is the new plastic product you're refering to?

Sorry, Mike ... I am having a devil of a time remembering the name of the
stuff. It looks like plastic 1X2 with holes drilled through the width. You
cut and install beween the furring strips, at the bottom of the first

course
of siding so insects can't get in the cavity.

Thanks Swingman. What I'm doing is a bit different...

We had perpetual ice buildup problem on our house because the entire front
roof was not vented at all, and the rear roof was poorly vented. Now, 20
some years later, we decided to fix that problem since we had to put new
shingles on anyway. We could not just cut in soffet vents in front because
the contractor that built the house cut the roof rafters to miter down onto
the top course of logs (log home) instead of birds mouthing them and running
them out. (You'd really have to see it to understand the problem). Instead
of tearing off all of the roof decking and figuring a way to vent it better,
we decided to tear off the shingles and leave the roof deck on. I got 200
sheets of 1.5in rigid insulation board for free that was being taken off a
commercial roof by the company that my brother in law works for. All I had
to do was pick up the insulation. This stuff is about R1.5 to the inch so,
it adds to our existing R30 nicely. We laid that down on the existing roof
decking and then ran 2x4's laid on their side up the insulation and screwed
it through the insulation into the old roof deck. Think of this as purloins
run the wrong way. Then we decked over that with a new roof deck. This
left us with a 1.5in air channel between each of the 2x4's for air flow up
to the ridge vent. The key is that we had aluminum bent for new fascia that
runs about an inch wild of the original fascia and steps to the original
fascia. It does not step to be in contact with the original fascia, but it
steps to overhang the top of the original fascia a bit, but still about an
inch wild of the face of the original fascia. This makes for a nice look of
the fascia, instead of a massive hunk of 1x8 for a fascia and the 1in wild
leaves an air gap of 1in for the air to flow completely along the edge of
the roof.

\ ------------- New Dripedge and Fascia of Bent Aluminum
\

\ |
\ ---
| | ----------- One Inch gap between original fascia and
new fascia for airflow
| Slight over lap of new fascia
bottom and step of original fascia
---

| ------------------- Existing Dripedge and Fascia Made of Wood
and Stepped

Phhhew. That was a lot of typing. Anyway, now I'm left with coming up with
a way to keep bees and the likes out of this air channel. I'm thinking of
just using rolled roof vent and stuffing it up in that 1in gap. I saw your
post and thought I'd look at other options before committing to any
particular one.

--

-Mike-