Richard Savage

Default What cable to use for audio (phono) diy connections?

Lurch wrote:

On 1 Feb 2004 12:52:03 -0800, (James) wrote:

I want to get unamplified sound between my computer & DAB radio (in
the kitchen) and my amplifier (in the sitting room). The cable route
is about 10-15m and goes through the cellar, so it would be nice to
have a socket there as well.

I have bought a couple of double phono sockets from nexxia
(
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/) and linked them up with telephone wire
(which was what I had to hand). Not good. There's a hum, and
although reasonably loud music is worth listening to, speech is very
distorted.

Now I'm sure there are many things I have done wrong: using telephone
wire; maybe using solder (though the sockets have solder tags); I
should also mention that the cables connect through a telephone
junction box. But I can't find any cable anywhere specified for this
purpose (as opposed to speaker cable). What should I use (looking for
something cheap, that I can buy by the metre, or in a 10 or 25m reel,
either over the net or on the UK high street)? Also advice about a
junction box if that's likely to make a difference.

Try www.maplins.co.uk and look for part no. N08AP.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

In my experience the quality of the interconnections has almost as much
effect on the finished sound as does the quality of the speakers. I
strongly suggest that you avoid at all cost anything cheap to link these
devices.

Do I understand that you are feeding the audio o/p from PC and DAB unit to
your amp? Then spend LOTS of money on the cables and connectors (consider
gold plated - they're not that dear) and do solder the cables. I expect
you'll only want to do this only once!

Unfortunately I can't remember the best practice for audio cable screen
connections to avoid earth loops - is it only connect the screen at one of
the devices? Doubtless someone else will advise.

Oh and it's www.MAPLIN.co.uk (no 'S')

What's the story with the telephone junction box?

BOL Richard