TURTLE

"Steve B." this is not my real [email protected] wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 20:43:19 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:

This is Turtle.

I have googled it and got more bull than a truck can haul off.

I want a Good Chain saw and have a piece of Junk Poland 14" one now. They have
Huskey and Stiel dealers around here. I need the one that will be forgiving
for
abuse. I will listen to the sales pitches but I want to know about the brand
names before picking out the model The salesmen will know the brands , money,
and sizes. I'm looking for the differences like a Pinto or a Roll Royce.
Duriability is what I'm after.

TURTLE

Its all junk and only as good as the service person you pick so find
the best dealer in your area and buy what they reccomend. :-)

We have a Stihl that my dad bought 20 years ago and it has held up
very well over all these years. I don't know if they still make it
like they used to with everyone selling out to the megacorps though.

Steve B.

This is Turtle.

Well I read all the reply this evening and went to the Stihl / Huskey Dealer
place and sized up what I needed. I ask him about durability / Power / Bring
this Damn thing back broken or burnt up / Bar size verses horse power / and
Huskey or Stihl ? Here is what he said and put with what I read here to get the
one I wanted.

He said :

1) He seemed to see very few MS-310 -- 4.0 H.P. come back for any repairs at
all but seen a larger number of MS-361 or C -- 4.3 H.P. or MS-390 -- 4.3 H.P. or
bigger and then up to the MS-660 at 7 H.P. or bigger before he starts to see no
trouble.

2) He said if he was cutting trees for a living he would go ahead get the
MS-390 because of the .3 H.P. more but if you was cutting about a tree a month
stick with the MS-310 for you don't need the speedy cut to make a living and he
just does not see many of them come back for repairs at all.

3) He said he seems to think that when you break the 4.0 H.P. level on the
engines it may put a strain on the engines or something like that. He then said
if you break the 4 H.P. level you have to go to the MS-660 -- 7 H.P. level to
not see them come back for repairs. He said this 4 to 7 H.P. engines seem to
have all the trouble with very little below 4 h.p. and 7 h.p. and up. He also
added the Huskey had the same problem that he seen the same thing as trouble
verses the 4 h.p. to 7 h.p. engines. Outside this range he sees very little
repair troubles.

4) He did not recommend any Bar lengths over the 18" on the MS-310 or the
MS-390 because of loads to the engine and cutting ability. The 18'' bar was all
the teeth per wood surface you would want as to not lug the engine down. The
20"+ bars started to load up the engines and cause the engine to lug down when
loaded up cutting. The Bar length does play a part in the longivity of the
engine and having trouble or engine malfuctions.

5) He said the 18" Bar would not jam in the 36" tree [ end cutting but 20"
would ] and I could cut both sides and what was left in the middle would snap
off. It did just what he said. To get the longer bar i would need the MS-660 and
could cut up to with a 36" bar and still have the horse power to not jam.

6) The worst thing to do to a saw is to just use it every once in a while and
put it up for long periods of time and if i could , use it as much as possible.
The oil from the gas will keep the bearing and parts oiled up and setting it up
let the oil drain off of the cracks and holes where you need the oil to be
worked down into. Running it keeps the oil worked down into the place where you
really need it.

After sizing up everything that was said here and there. I ended up with a
MS-310 with a 18" Bar and come home and started butchering that tree. It took
about two hours and 5 tanks of gas and oil and it Got-R-Done. I think i got the
right size of saw for cutting something like this but time will tell for
duriability. I wished I could look out 2 or 3 years from now and see about this
saw, but i will have to wait and see.

I would like to say thank you to all the hands that spoke here and helped out on
this project. Thank You Thank You Thank You.

TURTLE