Pete C

On 4 Oct 2004 10:46:17 -0700, (Reuben) wrote:

I have a 1983 VW Passat GL5 which is in reasonable condition barring
some serious rust on the training edges of the doors and the tailgate.
Professional repairers seem reluctant to take on repairs like this -
they want to replace the doors (possible) and the tailgate (not
possible to buy new tailgate now).
I'm considering doing the repairs myself and I'd like to hear from
anyone who has experience of this kind of job in relation to materials
and methods.
I'm realistic about what I can expect to achieve - I just want a
passable job to keep the car legal. If it turns out really well,
that's a bonus.

Hi,

Try one of the online scrap thingies for spare parts. If you do have
to repair it yourself use zinc rich primer, fibreglass for holes, and
filler/stopper to get it level.

Get a cheap body shop to do a 'blow over' of the panels, and you'll
get a better result than you ever will from an aerosol, especially if
it's metallic.

cheers,
Pete.