Andy Dingley

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:28:41 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

Oxy-acetylene welding and brazing cause to much distortion (especially on
modern sheet metals).

Then learn how to do it right.

Go and walk into any, modern, car bodyshop and ask if
you don't believe me...

A bodyshop for modern cars ? Of course not - they barely weld at all.
Modern cars don't rust (just remember the nasty old lace-curtain
Escorts of 20 years ago), cars are so relatively cheap to buy that we
just don't bother fixing the rough ones any more, and most bodywork
that still gets done is simple panel-swapping accident repairs under
insurance. MIG is used because it's _quick_, not because it's any
better. And I've never seen TIG in a high-street garage.

Walk round to the railway arches and Old Bob's Beetle and Moggy Minor
emporium and you'll see oxy-acetylene in use though. How else are you
going to work those big curved panels, or shrink a spot ?

I've got two oxy-acetylene rigs here, propane and oxy-propane too, and
I'm a woodworker !

--
Smert' spamionam