Mike Mitchell

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 00:08:24 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , "Mark" mark@
127.0.0.1 says...
Mike Mitchell typed:

but not where
structural strength has been compromised by rust. The most fun you can
have with a welding torch is brazing! You can inset pieces of sheet
metal and braze them in,

Did you really mean brazing ?
if so, its an MOT failure in anything considered structural.

Door skins are hardly structural, are they?

Nothing is structural about a modern monocoque body. The whole point
is that the flimsy bits of sheet metal comprise structural stabilty -
and designed-in crumple zones - together. Just having the doors and
tailgate closed increases the structural integrity enormously.

I wouldn't fancy my chances in an accident if I knew there was this
very solid "ladder" of a chassis about to slice my vehicle (and me) in
two. Structure is for the birds, really. It's just the way Bentley
built the world's fastest lorries, according to Bugatti. I believe my
erstwhile Morris 8 Series E was one of the first British designs to
use monocoque construction.

MM