Jim Warren

Reuben wrote in message
m...
I have a 1983 VW Passat GL5 which is in reasonable condition barring
some serious rust on the training edges of the doors and the tailgate.
Professional repairers seem reluctant to take on repairs like this -
they want to replace the doors (possible) and the tailgate (not
possible to buy new tailgate now).
I'm considering doing the repairs myself and I'd like to hear from
anyone who has experience of this kind of job in relation to materials
and methods.
I'm realistic about what I can expect to achieve - I just want a
passable job to keep the car legal. If it turns out really well,
that's a bonus.

You could try asking in uk.rec.cars.maintenance. They might even know of a
professional repairer in your area that will take on the job. If not, then
you will get advice form someone who has done it before. There is a lot to
be wary of if you are dealing with serious rust.

Jim